1. Remove all edible meat from the chicken; put the bones, skin, cooking juices, etc. in the slow cooker.
2. Add the onion, celery, carrot and spices on top of the bones and fill the slow cooker with water, leaving about a half of an inch at the top.
3. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
4. After the stock is done cooking, turn off the heat and pass the stock through a fine sieve to remove all herbs, bones, etc.
5. Refrigerate or freeze the stock for future use.
Tip: Freeze some in both 1- and 2-cup portions and also freeze stock in ice cube trays just in case you “need a little” for making sauce.
This stock is great in soups like chicken noodle soup.
This recipe is suitable for many people with chronic kidney disease. However, your type of treatment and other health concerns may make it unsuitable for your particular diet. Check with your doctor to make sure it’s OK for you.